Cancer Rehab Services
Many cancer survivors experience weakness, fatigue, balance problems, numbness, swelling, joint stiffness and pain as a result of cancer treatments. Cancer rehabilitation helps minimize and alleviate many of these side effects to get you on the road to true recovery.
We offer safe, individualized programs that enable patients to return to life after cancer treatment. Our comprehensive protocols include:
- Strength, endurance and balance training
- Cardiorespiratory training
- Gait training and fall prevention
- Exercise strategies to address/reduce cancer-related fatigue
- Independent exercise program development
- Soft tissue/manual therapy to address pain, stiffness
- Edema management
- Pain management strategies
Start preparing before your cancer treatment begins. Pre-treatment assessments establish a baseline for your health and function. Comprehensive exercise/activity programs help strengthen areas that could negatively impact you during and after cancer treatment. The Association of Community Cancer Centers says "Prehab improves outcomes for oncology patients."
- Pre-cancer treatment assessments to identify any impairments that may affect the outcome of cancer treatment and provide patient education in physical activity recommendations during cancer treatment.
- Pre-cancer treatment interventions to enable patients to tolerate treatment better and improve overall recovery. Starting cancer treatment before patients are physically prepared can affect tolerance to treatment and negatively affect outcomes.
Oncology Rehab and Wellness provides assessments at every stage of your cancer diagnosis and treatment. We follow the nationally recognized Prospective Surveillance Model of Care for breast cancer patients. This includes pre-surgical assessments, post-surgical assessments and ongoing rehabilitation to help breast cancer patients restore their function and reduce future disability. We follow the *PALS Protocol for exercise prescription and progression.
Some common impairments after breast cancer surgery/radiation/chemotherapy include:
- Shoulder mobility constraints, joint pain
- Weakness, postural issues
- Radiation fibrosis/scar tissue/soft tissue restrictions and pain
- General deconditioning related to inactivity/reduction in activity levels
- Axillary cording
*PALS is a program based on the "Physical Activity and Lymphedema" research trial that determined that exercise does not increase the likelihood of lymphedema and can prevent its onset. Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2730488/
Our Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT) provides Complete Decongestive Therapy for the treatment of lymphedema. This includes:
- Manual Lymph Drainage
- Compression bandaging
- Garment Fitting
- Patient and caregiver training and education
Wellness Resources and Services
Our dietitian provides nutritional consultations to help you maintain or restore proper nutrition that is critical to recovery from or living with cancer. Our dietitian is a Registered Oncology Dietitian with over 30 years of experience. Services are provided on a private pay basis, but we do provide you with all of the information you will need to submit for possible insurance reimbursement.
*It is recommended that you contact your insurance company to determine if you have coverage prior to your visit. Contact us today if you have any questions.
We offer monthly education seminars and wellness workshops presented by Oncology Rehab and Wellness or area cancer wellness professionals. Check out our events calendar to see the newest events we have scheduled.
We are specially equipped to treat individuals with all cancer diagnoses and the complications that occur as a result of the disease, surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Cancer and its treatments can cause immediate impairments and limitations. Side effects and physical impairments can occur even years after your cancer treatment ends.